The school was established in the year 1954 by Late Hirendra Nath Patranavis and his wife Late Leela Patranavis, two visionary educationists having philanthropic ideals. The school was started in a rented house at 4A, Nandy Street, Kolkata–700 019 with a few teachers and about 15 students. In 1986, it was shifted to a building at 25/20 Prince Golam Md. Shah Road, Kolkata–700 095 owned by Late Leela Patranavis. The school received affiliation from the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations in 1988. Eventually, the Primary and Secondary Sections were shifted to a newly constructed building at 24/1, Prince Golam Md. Shah Road, Kolkata–700 033. The ISC Section (Classes XI and XII) commenced from the year 1999 in the new premises.

The school presently has strength of about 1600 students, 72 teachers and 20 supporting staff. There are classes from Nursery to XII, having three streams of study (Commerce, Humanities and Science) in the ISC Section.

In the year 2015 our school completed 60 glorious years in the field of learning.

The main objective of our revered founders was to open up the scope of English Medium Education under an all India Board to the students belonging to the middle class. The concept of total education was accorded equal importance.

We, the ardent followers of our leading lights, are proud to say that students from all strata of the society are served.

In pursuance of imparting total education, while according prime importance to academic matters, emphasis is also laid on instilling moral values and discipline. Moreover, the students are encouraged to participate in various forms of Co-Scholastic activities - both intra-school and inter-school.

Our motto is striving for excellence - establishing and sustaining quality. We are proud of the achievements, in both academic and co-scholastic fields of our students.

The school is under the ownership control and management of a Trust entitled “Hirendra Leela Patranavis Educational Trust” instituted by our revered founders, recognized by the Income Tax Department, Government of India as a “Public Educational Trust”. The Trust (including the school) is a non-profit making institution in letter, spirit and practice.

The present Trustees are -
  • Sri Ajay Kumar Majhi – Chairman (Also Rector/Secretary of the School)
  • Smt. Sumana Parvat –  As Headmistress of the School
  • Smt. Banani Chakraborty, Assistant Headmistress - As a Teacher of the School
  • Sri Dilip Kumar Bose
  • Sri Nalinaksha Roy
  • Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mitra

Presently we have two premises. The old one is a three-storied building (on a land of about 2010 sq. ft.) at 25/20 Prince Golam Md. Shah Road, Kolkata – 700 095. This building was a gracious gift by Late Leela Patranavis, our co-founder. It houses our Accounts Section and Pre-Primary Section (Classes Nursery to II).
Our second premises is at 24/1, Prince Golam Md. Shah Road, Kolkata – 700 033. This is a four-storied building (on a land of about 10800 sq. ft.). This building houses our classrooms from III to XII and also offices of the Rector/Secretary, Headmistress and the Assistant Headmistresses.
We have spacious classrooms, well-equipped library and laboratories (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science and Home Science).
We possess a vacant land measuring about 4320 sq. ft. adjacent to and contiguous with our second premises. This will be utilized for the much needed extension of our building. We are in the process of various official formalities regarding the same.